Visite Us

Saturday, February 04, 2012

6 Wedding Traditions No One Will Miss

A wedding wouldn't be a wedding without a kiss at the end of the ceremony, some food, and some fun. But I'm willing to bet guests wouldn't be too upset if more brides skipped these wedding traditions at nuptials.


Separating the Bride's Side From the Groom's at the Wedding Ceremony

The bride's family and friends sit on the left, the groom's on the right...unless you're Jewish, and then it's the opposite. And at my and Paul's interfaith wedding ceremony, there was mass confusion (OK, not really, but there were some perplexed guests). Ushers would've helped, but you know what would've been even better: if we had a big sign that said, "Sit where you like!" In fact, I wish every bride and groom allowed guests to sit wherever they like (save the first row for the couple's VIPs).

Making a Grand Entrance into the Wedding Reception

We had our MC introduce all 19 members of our wedding party -- six bridesmaids, five groomsmen, a flower girl, a junior bridesmaid, two sets of parents, and me and Paul. As much fun as I had choosing songs for everyone to walk out to, I highly doubt our guests actually cared to watch the whole six-minute ordeal. I've been to weddings where the bride and groom themselves weren't even formally introduced on the mic, and I didn't pick up on that fact for quite some time.

Having a First Dance as Bride and Groom

I just went to a wedding where the newlyweds passed on this tradition. I didn't even notice until a few days later when I was trying to remember what song they had chosen for their first dance. So while some guests like to watch this, no one would be devastated if you forgo doing one. Parent dances, on the other hand, might be missed (especially by the parents).

Tossing the Garter

At the weddings I've been to, guys seem to like catching the garter. But I'd say that's more of a result of guys enjoying competition rather than wedding traditions. I've been to weddings where the garter wasn't thrown (my own included), and I've never heard a dude say, "Damn, I was hoping to catch the garter!"

Tossing the Bouquet

I confess: When I wasn't yet engaged, I was looking forward to attempting to catch the bouquet at my friend's wedding...except the bride never threw hers. I was probably the sole person in attendance who gave a hoot, and I cared only because I had caught the bouquet as a flower girl at my cousin's wedding, just to have it ripped away by the maid of honor (it's on videotape!). I tossed the bouquet at my wedding, but I don't think anyone would've minded if I hadn't.

Giving Out Wedding Favors

Paul and I bought 150 boxes of truffles...and there were probably about 20 left on tables at the end of the wedding reception. Brides and grooms often treat their guests to multi-course meals and good music, so those boxes of chocolates, picture frames, or personalized coasters (Engagement Chick spent HOURS making 300 of those!) are utterly unnecessary.

Adapted from MSN
Published by Gusti Putra at: 12:51 AM
Lets READ GUsTi

No comments:

Post a Comment